Home

Addendum

Shooting Range

The Bunker

Memorial Cemetery

The Beginnings

The Prisoners

Slave Labor

Suffering and Dying

Liberation

 

The Jourhaus

Kupfer-Koberwitz

Roll-Call Area

The Monument

Propaganda

Schubraum

Admission procedure

Prisoner Baths

Everyday routine

Pole Hanging

Bunker Courtyard

 

Camp Prison

Standing Bunker

Camp Road

Sick-bay

Religious Memorials

Disinfection Barracks

Rabbit Hutches

Crematorium

About the Author

 

Back to Museum website

Camp Road

 

Located along the central axis of the camp was the main camp road, along which the barracks were built on both the left and the right.

 

At the crossing of the camp road and the roll-call area two barracks have been reconstructed. The former location of the other 32 barracks are marked by foundations. The ground plan of the camp, still recognizable today and characterized by its symmetrical alignment and functional divisions, was also used in almost all other concentration camps.

 

The impression generated by the grounds today does not reproduce the oppressive confinement and density of the barrack facilities: originally designed to hold approx.imately 6,000 prisoners, the camp was constantly overcrowded in the final years. The Americans liberated over 30,000 people here at the end of April 1945.

 

Prisoners marching along the camp road

 

This photo is once again a propaganda shot commissioned by the SS; it shows a group of prisoners marching along the main road of the new camp.

 

During the extensions made to the concentration camp in 1937/38 the prisoners had to build the new camp with its 34 barracks and other buildings.

 

The first two barracks on each side were operational barracks servicing the running of the camp; the adjoining 15 barracks on each side were the accommodation barracks for the prisoners.

 

Prisoners marching along the camp road, SS photo taken by Friedrich Franz Bauer, 6.28.1938

 

 Previous

 

Next